Responsible to: Head of Commercial Events and Diary and Events Support Officer
Salary: £11.77 per hour
Contract / hours: Zero hours contract – working hours to be agreed in line with cathedral bookings and events
Pension : Subject to meeting the relevant criteria you will be enrolled in the Cathedral’s Pension Scheme with 8% employer contributions.
Annual leave: 12.07% has been added to the salary in respect of rolled up holiday pay. Therefore, holiday will not be accrued.
The primary role as a steward is to assist with the delivery of an enjoyable and safe experience for event attendees, to maintain a high level of customer care, and provide practical assistance both inside and outside of the venue.
Our stewards work closely with our Head of Commercial Events, Head of Facilities, Diary and Events Support Officer and our Verger team.
The main responsibilities of our stewards are:
- At the start of an event a briefing will be given, stewards must attend.
- Greeting guests and, if applicable, check tickets on the door
- Direct guests to seats – this may involve directing guests to specific seats according to a seating plan or assisting and directing guests who require accessible access
- Be on duty at an assigned fire exit and in the event of an evacuation open doors and direct guests out to the evacuation points on the close
- Ensure walkways and doors are clear and remain unobstructed
- Use the torch provided and hi-vis vest when required
- Take direction from the Verger during an event and offer support
- Communicate any observations and concerns to the Events Team or Verger
- Assisting with various food and drink refreshments including taking cash and card payments
- Assisting with logistics where necessary
- Full training will be given
- A passion for sharing sacred space in sympathy with the ethos of the Church of England
- Comfortable supporting the worshipping life of the cathedral
- Awareness of good customer service, to be friendly and welcoming
- Good communication skills and a proactive awareness to ensure the smooth running of events
- The ability to handle people with tact
- Understand the need of safeguarding and Health & Safety measures
- Be punctual, reliable, communicative and flexible
Without your time, support, and dedication the cathedral would not be able to offer this service.
How to apply
Recruitment of stewards is an ongoing process. If you are interested in this role, please complete an application form online, or download an application form and return this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forms can also be returned by post to:
Birmingham Cathedral St Philips,
Interview dates will be arranged with suitable applicants.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact our events team at email@example.com.